Thursday, July 10, 2014

Postcard from the Bahamas: A Slice of Paradise

When the time calls for a getaway to relax, relate, release and reconnect with a good friend, somehow nothing fits the bill quite like tropical breezes, abundant sunshine, glistening oceans and blue skies.  Paradise, right?  Well my recent time in the Bahamas served up more than its share of sea, sand and sun, making for a "just what the doctor ordered" girls' trip and a delicious slice of paradise.  

My time in Nassau, nestled on Paradise Island, couldn't have been a better start to my Summer travels and exploration.  And from my digs, to local fare, to one dreamy excursion, paradise never felt so good. 


Stay~ 

A palatial destination within a destination, we settled in at the Atlantis Paradise Island for our stay.  Surrounded by a marina, beaches, gorgeous waterfalls, cabana-flanked pools, an astounding aquarium, restaurants, shops, and more, we were settled amidst stunning grounds and no shortage of leisure activities from spa indulgences to fine dining to simply unloading and relaxing heavily on one of the surrounding beaches (my personal favorite.) 


Eat~

My first bite on the island was everything I was hoping for--a bright, fresh, ceviche-reminiscent, conch salad.  A Bahamian favorite and staple, there was more conch to be had during my venture.  In addition to my now-favorite salad, conch fritters and "crack conch", as it's locally described, abounded on local menus and were a highlight at the Bahamian-famed Fish Fry.  Our outpost in downtown Nassau served up platters fit for sharing and overflowing with fried conch (Crack Conch), fried fish, peas and rice, coleslaw and plantains. Whew! Needless to say we couldn't finish it all.  

Fish Fry, Downtown Nassau

Do~ 

Before arriving to the Bahamas, I did a bit of scouting for "must-do", "can't-miss" excursions that I might want to take in.  Not that lounging around the resort the entire trip was a bad way to go (I've been known to do that), but I wanted to take in more of what this travel hotspot had to offer.  And I'm so glad that I did!  If there was anything to top the relaxed lounging, coconut sipping, beachside-massage filled afternoons at the resort, it would likely involve being on a boat, taking in passing views of celebrity beach homes, docking at an unspoiled, pristine, private beach, noshing on a Bahamian buffet lunch, and indulging in more beachfront lounging.  This duly sums up my day trip excursion to Sandy Toes, Rose Island.  




A self-proclaimed "beach bunny", this is the beach that dreams are made of! My dubious posture from the morning rain back at the resort quickly subsided as we set sail into the crystal blue waters and the clouds gave way to full-blown sunshine.  The beauty of it all was truly invigorating and served up a treasured experience that I will never forget.  
 
Between girl talk seasoned with lots of laughter, and the perfect tempo of relaxation combined with a bit of adventure, my latest visit to the Bahamas was nothing short of a refreshing slice of paradise.  

Happy Travels!
P.S. What's on your Summer travel agenda?


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© D.M.R. Fine Foods. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig